Looks to me like there's a real big smooch coming in the not-too-distant future! Of course, when you sit under the mistletoe, it's an absolute necessity.
Sascha has many surprises in store for her true love, Dante, not least of which is:
"A Partridge in a Pear Tree"
"Wow! What a great gift!" exclaims Dante. "Thank you, Sascha. It's like two gifts in one. I'm gonna plant that pear tree in my new garden next Spring, and tonight we'll feast together on that bird."
And so they did. Here's the roast partridge with poached pear that Dante prepared for dinner.
Serves 2 to 3
- William pears
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 partridges
- 2 onions or shallots, quartered
- 50g pancetta cubetti
- 2tsp flour
- 3tbsp brandy
- 150ml white wine
- 75ml stock
- Bay leaves to decorate
- 1tbsp cranberry sauce
- Set the oven at 190°C/gas 5. Cut the pears in half and, using a teaspoon, scoop out the core. Dice 1 pear.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the partridges on all sides for 5 minutes, then place in a shallow ovenproof dish. Add the onions and pancetta to the pan and fry for 5 mins. Add the diced pear and pear halves, cut side down, and fry for 1-2 mins, then arrange the mixture around the birds.
- Place in the oven to roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer.
- Remove the partridges and pears, cover with foil and leave to rest. Scrape all the contents of the roasting dish into a pan, sprinkle with flour and heat for 1 min until thickened. Gradually add the brandy, the wine and the stock and bring to the boil, simmer for 2-3 mins then strain.
- Arrange the partridges on a serving dish with the bay leaves and pears, and fill the centres with cranberry sauce..
Dante and Sascha shared just one partridge between them because that's all they had. As it turned out, it was more than enough, and it was absolutely delicious! Those cooking lessons really paid off, Dante!
Dante also has a gift for Sascha. He is giving her one prettily wrapped Christmas gift for every one she gives to him, although she isn't allowed to open hers until Christmas Day itself.
So stay tuned, for further installments of the "Twelve Days of Christmas" with Dante and Sascha. There'll be one every day from now, right up to and including December 25th!